So your air conditioning has broken down and you've placed a call to a local HVAC services company for a fix. You know they'll be out as soon as they can, but how do you keep your family cool in the meantime? Here are some tips and tricks to keep you comfortable until your AC is working again.
• Make sure you close the blinds or curtains in any room where the sun is shining in. Direct sunlight will heat things up quickly.
• If it is cooler outside, open any windows that aren't facing direct sunlight and hang a wet towel or blanket over them. Doing so will add moisture to the air and cool it down a bit.
• Turn off any lights or other appliances that generate heat. Remember that electronics such as computers and televisions warm up as they run. Turning them off will prevent them from inadvertently heating your space. Order pizza or takeout food rather than cooking until the air is back on.
• Turn on any fans. Whether they are box fans or ceiling fans, these are the appliances you will want to keep running if the AC stops working.
• Drink lots of water to keep yourself cooled and hydrated, Avoid drinks that contain caffeine as these will dehydrate you and could make you feel uncomfortable much more quickly than other beverages. Ice cream bars and other cool treats can also help.
• Mist yourself. Fill a spray bottle with a little water and lightly mist yourself if you feel hot. This will help you stay cool and is great fun for the kids when you're trying to keep them from feeling too hot.
• Change your clothes if you're wearing anything other than loose-fitting, breathable fabric.
24 Tricks to Survive Hot Summer Nights (Without AC), Greatist.com